Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Slip and fall

We got some snow over the weekend which semi-melted, which then froze into sheets of murderous black ice all over the sidewalk. You would think living downtown, someone would at least shovel a path on most the sidewalks but alas, I am woefully wrong. Cooper and I must carefully pick our way through treacherous patches of death.
I always thought animals would have better grip on the ice; maybe it's their toenails or the fact that their weight seems to be more evenly distrubuted on four paws than my two clumsy feet, but I guess assuming things is bad. Cooper always joyfully runs into the snow banks without worrying about the slippery ice while I try to hang on for dear life without being pulled down and rolling my ankles.
Anyway, while Cooper was walking merrily along and I was walking with my head down trying to take baby steps, Cooper slipped on a patch of ice and skidded into the side of a building. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen and the look of shock and fear in Cooper's eyes as he was slipping was hilarious. True, I am a mean dog owner for laughing at his downfall but that's what he gets for being cocky on the ice. And besides, he was fine. Nothing was bruised but his ego and that needs to be taken down a few pegs in my opinion.
After I laughed at him, Cooper refused to look at me and I could tell he was dying of embarassment until I hit a patch of ice, slid a few feet while yanking on his leash. He actually stopped, looked over his shoulder with a look of concern on his face. Can you believe that? It's Cooper for the love of god, half the time he doesn't even bother getting off the bed when I come home. Anyway, the look of concern on his face melted my heart. You can almost hear him say, "Oh jeez, are you ok? Man, it is slippery out here! Let's take our time..."

No comments: