Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sick as a Dog

Poor Cooper is sick, again. I don't know what he ate but it must have been bad. He was constipated Sunday and I had a feeling something horrible was going to happen and I was right. All Monday morning while I was getting for work, Cooper followed me listlessly begging for a pat or cuddle. He even came in the bathroom when the shower was on in hopes of getting one last pat before I got wet. Then he sat miserably on the bath rug while I showered. Eventually, with Corey and I in our normal morning rush, Cooper had to seek comfort from none other than Pickle. Pickle was sitting on the bed watching TV and Cooper sat right below him with his head up. Pickle glanced down and started sniffing and licking Cooper's head while Cooper closed his eyes and grimaced. It was cute to know that when he is feeling like shit, he will ask Pickle for comfort which makes me think that Cooper likes him a lot more than he lets on. Alas, Corey and I had to leave miserble looking Coop and a happy, yet stoic, Pickle.
When I got home last night at exactly 5 PM, I could already hear Cooper screaming in anticipation and impatience. When I finally opened the door, Cooper shot out and started scratching at the door leading outside the apartment. I got the leash on him and he shot out, ran down the stairs, opened the other door leading out the stairwell by himself, and finally found some relief and had diarrhea for a good 10 minutes. Poor little guy. He looked a little better when we went in and I was hoping that would be the last of his stomach problems. Once I finally got the dogs inside, I had to see the destruction and mayhem of Cooper when he really, really, really needs to go out and there's no one home. He had knocked over a chair trying to get our coats off, knocked over mittens drying on the kitchen island, got his leash (not Pickle's) off the hook by the door, and wreaked other havoc trying to distract himself from making a mess in the house. I have to applaud him despite the mess, picking up loose items is a hell of a lot easier than scrubbing shit out of the carpet. Not surprisingly, Pickle got into things too and ate a pen on the couch which means there are now black ink stains on the couch, and chewed up Corey's headset thing for his XBox. Which he is not happy about.
While Corey and I were eating dinner, Cooper didn't beg like he normally does. He sat by himself on the couch staring at us with the most pathetic expression on his face. Then he started whining and carrying his toys around which is what he does always before he throws up. And he did...by the dining room table. Mostly it was just spit and water. Poor little Choo Choo just sat there, completely miserable with watery eyes staring at the mess. If he could, he would have been crying. His ears were limp and he was looking droopy. When we took him out before bed, he had a little more diarrhea and I was hoping he would eat something at this point as he didn't have an appetite for the last 2 days.
Last night while I was drifting in and out of sleep, I thought I heard Cooper scratching at our door. I ignored him and when I woke up, I was greeted with a puddle of diarrhea in front of the main door. Luckily, it was on linoleum so it was relatively easy to clean up. Now I'm afraid of going home and finding another puddle of mess. I hope he feels better soon; I'm bringing home some Gatorade and cooking him some bland rice for dinner tonight.

No comments: