Monday, October 5, 2009

Playing god

It's weird that I never really thought of this until last night. I was sitting there playing with Cooper and I realized that I have complete control over his life. I pick what time he gets to eat, go outside (unless he really needs to go), when to play, when it's ok to sit on the bed, etc. I mean, it goes as far as neutering him so he can't have babies.
I don't know why that hit me all of a sudden and coming to that realization made me realize how completely dependent Cooper is. I know people get dogs as a child replacement or whatever, but I don't know how anyone can think that of dogs or cats. I think it's because some people like knowing that something else is totally dependent on them and that they'll always be needed.
For the commitment-phobe that I am, it makes me a little nauseous to think of how much Cooper depends on me for. So I'm going to pretend that I'm not playing God to him and that Cooper has as much free will as he thinks he does.

No comments: