Thursday, December 9, 2010

Porker

For about 2 years, Cooper has been on a diet. It was mostly my fault; when I lived in suburbia with no sidewalks as we lived in an area that was constantly being developed, I didn't walk Cooper for as long as I should. So he gained like, 7 pounds which is a lot when you're just a little guy.
For the last 7-8 months, I've been feeding Cooper diet dog food; about 3/4 of a cup a day. I walk him for at least 40 minutes every night and we play fetch and tug of war around the house. Because he was looking kinda skinny late fall, I started feeding him more and now he's packing on the pounds. I wonder if he has a thyroid condition; my mom has one and it is impossible for her to lose weight but she gains it easily. It's the same for Choo Choo, it took about a year and a half for him to lose 5 pounds and it looks like he's gained 3 in the last couple months. I'm cutting back on his food to 3/4 cup a day and see if that helps. As he's due for another yearly check up and shots in January, I will bring up his fluctuating weight and see if there's something wrong with his thyroid. God, I hope not, he already has enough health problems to deal with.
I worry more about my dog's health and weight than my own. He eats Blue Buffalo brand dog food which flaunts that it's "holistic and all natural" with "human grade/quality meats and veggies!" Cooper needs a grain free diet and he really likes Blue Buffalo so it's a win/win for him. I eat like shit; mostly sandwiches and junk food and there's no way in hell I'd spend half a paycheck for a week's worth of food from Whole Foods or some other "organic" place. I also haven't been to the gym since March, but I make sure Cooper gets his daily dose of excercise. I've been getting better about going to the doctor and stuff, so I guess I beat out Cooper in that one. Alisa-1, Cooper-9 million and counting.

No comments: